Composite decking is a popular option for those looking to add a durable and low-maintenance decking solution to their outdoor space. However, deciding whether to tackle installation yourself or hire a professional can be a difficult decision to make.
In this article, we explore the pros and cons of DIY composite decking installation to help you make an informed decision.
Pros of DIY Composite Decking Installation
Choosing to install your composite decking on your own can have several advantages. Here are some of the pros of DIY composite decking installation:
- Cost savings: One of the most significant advantages of DIY installation is cost savings. By doing the installation work yourself, you avoid paying the installation fees that come with hiring a professional.
- Customisation: DIY installation gives you the freedom to customise your deck as you want. You can choose the decking materials, colours and patterns to ensure that the finished product matches your preferences and style.
- Sense of accomplishment: There’s a great sense of accomplishment that comes with completing the installation work yourself. You’ll be able to enjoy your new deck with the knowledge that you did it all on your own.
Cons of DIY Composite Decking Installation
While the thought of saving money and tackling a project on your own can be appealing, there are several potential drawbacks to DIY composite decking installation that should be taken into consideration before making a decision.
- Lack of Expertise: One of the biggest challenges of DIY installation is the lack of expertise in the field. While composite decking may seem simple to install, there are several nuances that can be easily missed by those without experience. Mistakes made during installation can lead to costly repairs or even the need for a complete replacement.
- Necessary Tools: Composite decking installation requires specialised tools that may not be readily available to most homeowners. These tools can add up in cost and may not be used again, making the investment less feasible for those looking to save money. Additionally, improper use of these tools can lead to subpar results.
- Possible Mistakes: Even with careful planning and attention to detail, mistakes are possible during the installation process. These mistakes can range from minor cosmetic issues to structural problems that compromise the safety and integrity of the deck. Professionals have the experience and knowledge to avoid these mistakes and quickly address any issues that arise.
Factors to Consider Before Deciding on DIY or Professional Decking Installation
When it comes to installing composite decking, there are several factors to consider before deciding whether to tackle the project yourself or hire a professional. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
The cost of composite decking and installation can vary significantly depending on the type of material, the size of the project, and whether you choose to hire a professional or do it yourself. While DIY installation may seem like the more budget-friendly option, it’s important to factor in the cost of tools and equipment, as well as the potential for mistakes that could end up costing more in the long run.
Installing composite decking can be a time-consuming process, especially if you’re new to DIY projects. If you have a busy schedule and limited time to devote to the project, hiring a professional may be the better option to ensure the job is completed efficiently and within your timeframe.
Personal Skill Level
While composite decking installation may seem straightforward, it does require some carpentry skills and knowledge. If you’re not confident in your abilities or lack experience with similar projects, hiring a professional may be the safer choice to avoid mistakes or injuries.
Complexity of the Project
The complexity of your composite decking project can also determine whether it’s best to go DIY or hire a professional. If your project includes intricate designs, curved edges, or other challenging elements, it may be worth investing in a professional who can handle the job with precision and expertise.
Quality and Durability
When it comes to the quality and durability of your composite decking, hiring a professional can ensure peace of mind. Professionals have access to high-quality materials and specialised tools, allowing for a finished product that is built to last.
If you’re concerned about the longevity of your decking, it may be worth considering professional installation.
The choice between DIY and hiring a professional ultimately depends on individual circumstances and preferences. Both options offer their own set of advantages and drawbacks.
It’s crucial to consider factors such as budget, time constraints, personal skill level, and the complexity of the project. By evaluating these factors, you can make the best decision for your unique circumstances.
Shop Composite Decking at Ecoscape UK
Ecoscape UK’s composite decking is a great choice for any outdoor area, providing a beautiful and durable alternative to wood. The material is composed of a combination of recycled plastic and wood fibres, which makes it highly resistant to UV light, water, decay, and insect damage.
In addition to its durability, composite decking has a realistic wood-like appearance that can be customised with various colours and finishes. By choosing Ecoscape’s composite decking, you can enjoy the beauty of natural wood without worrying about wear and tear or maintenance.
Shop our range of composite decking today, or get in touch with us to find out more.